Friday, May 25, 2012

The thing about New York...





New York. Here is the thing about you. You are dirty. You are expensive. And you are crowded. We have been here for over a week now, and let me tell you, it's a tad-- well, over-rated. Ok, ok there are some pretty amazing things about this big city. The fact that you can find a new place to eat no matter how many times you have eaten out. Obviously, there is the benefit of spotting famous people (like when I met Rich Sommer who plays Harry Crane on Mad Men, you can see the excitement). The Broadway plays, the incredible amount of shopping and sight seeing. Central Park is huge and gorgeous. While these are all very well and good, I still don't get it. People dream their whole lives of 'getting to NY' and livin' the dream. Then they get here and realize they have to work 80 hours a week at a crap job just to make rent. Rent for the 200 sq foot studio apartment that has roaches. And everyday you have to ride the dirty subway, crammed in like a sardine, then walk a mile to your crap end job. I just don't get it. I believe too much that we should work to live, not live to work. Don't these New Yorkers know how good they could have it elsewhere? That there are things taller than the Empire State building, and they are called mountains. That outdoors means so much more than Central Park. There is just so much more to life than shopping, fashion and money. (easier said than practiced). Or are all these people falling for the lies that movies and tv tell us? Remember how in You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan lives in a HUGE Manhattan apartment, dresses well, and owns a cute little book store. Yeah right. Like she makes ends meet. Then there is Sex and the City. This girl is practically unemployed writing a sex article for some trashy newspaper. Again the huge apartment in Manhattan and the over the top ridiculously expensive clothing and food. I am so sure. So I wonder, do people watch these kind of shows and think that is how it is? Cause, let me tell you it so is not. I know some people have dreams, and they really do make it big and have their dreams come true in New York. I am just glad my dreams consist of something else.

On the other hand, I am so happy that we have had the chance to see such landmark places like Washington DC (which I like way more than NY) and of course the big apple, if for no other reason than to say I know for sure that I am just not a big city kind of girl. I need the mountains (mostly because I am so directionally challenged without them), the wide open spaces and greenery. Much more greenery. I think David said it best in one of his texts the others day "I want to live in Utah with a big back yard and our dog and have babies. I want to barbecue with our friends and families and have Grandma babysit". I want that too David. For now though, we will keep braving the city, because well, we have to.

No comments: