Tuesday, February 1, 2011

the decision

In high school I started doing cosmetology school. This is a great profession and I love my hairstylist. For some reason or another though it didn't feel right and I knew I wouldn't be happy doing it. After high school I went to SLCC for awhile and then decided to transfer to LDS Business college to get my degree in Interior Design. I was in a bad place in my life during that time. I didn't do well in school, and my teacher told me he didn't think I had what it took. That's what you love to hear from a teacher huh? I then transferred to the University of Utah and declared my major as PR and Marketing, because that is what the other cool girls were doing. I hated it. I tossed between changing to Urban Planning and Architecture, both sounded so great but neither felt right. I then went on a mission for my church. While on my mission I thought for sure that I wanted to do some sort of Outdoor Recreational Therapy. I was convinced I needed to spend my whole life helping people. Which of course is not a bad thing. When I came home I realized I wanted to make some money, so I declared my major as Pharmacy. My sister was a nurse and my brother is in medical school, so it seemed a perfect fit. After one biology class I knew it wasn't in my blood. David and I decided to get married and shortly after moved to Florida. It was there that I realized I was spending all my time obsessing over graphic design in one form or another and photography. AHA moment! If this is what I love to do then I should do it for a living. At that exact moment I enrolled at Utah Valley University and declared my major as Graphic Design with a minor in Photography. I am still in my first semester, but I have loved every minute of it. I know this is what I am supposed to do.

No comments: