Sunday, October 17, 2010

grace


This past week we watched the movie "Amazing Grace". It tells the story of William Wilberforce who advocated the abolition of the slave trade in England. In his 15 year battle with the government to stop it, he often turns to a priest, also a former captain of a slave trade ship, John Newton. It was John, who after realizing the awfulness of the slave trade and being converted to a belief in God wrote the song Amazing Grace. The story of all the noble and brave men in this story truly is amazing. If you have not seen it I highly, highly suggest you do.

Anyway, it got me thinking about grace. I remember the first time I truly understood what grace was. I was on my mission, and was studying about the Atonement and eventually was studying grace. I read in the Bible dictionary and it says, "the main idea of the word is divine means of help or strength, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ." It was then that I realized that it was grace, given to me through Christ, that was giving me the strength I needed to serve my mission.

"It is likewise through the grace of the Lord that individuals, through faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and repentance of their sins, receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means. This grace is an enabling power that allows men and women to lay hold on eternal life and exaltation after they have expended their own best efforts...However grace cannot suffice without total effort on the part of the recipient."

At that moment grace was made so clear to me. I finally understood with such clarity 2 Nephi 25:23 where it says "..it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." After all we can do, meaning after we give our best effort, whether it be 78% or 95%, grace is the divine strength that Jesus Christ puts within us to make it to our goal of 100%.

And I don't just mean in spiritual matters. I believe that in everything we do, whether school, work, talents, hobbies, being charitable or loving are all done because of the divine help or grace that Christ gives us. I am so thankful for the enabling power of grace that gets me through everyday. I know that our Savior, Jesus Christ died and was resurrected for each and everyone of us and that He is ready and willing to give us His grace.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

written by John Newton

No comments: