Sunday, April 11, 2010

a first for everything...


After 23 years of living in Utah, home of the greatest snow on earth, I finally went snowboarding. Now I have been cross country skiing, snowshoeing, sledding etc. I have no problem with the snow. I honestly don't know why it has taken me this long to go. I am sure it is due, in large part, to the fact that I now have a husband who snowboards and loves me enough to take the time to teach me how. Not to mention that I am one of the most uncoordinated people I or anyone else knows.




Over the past few weeks David has been begging me to go snowboarding with him on one of my days off. I was a little hesitant, but when he surprised me with all of Annie's snowboarding gear that he had collected over the week, I was compelled to go.


I had told Libby about the adventure that Davie was planning for us, she wanted in too! Lib had only been once or twice before, and since having the baby was anxious for something to do. So her and Brad joined us! Which worked out nicely since Brad was able to get us our lift tickets. Thanks Brad. So, we left Sam with Gram-Gram Cain and we headed up to Snowbird.


Once we made it up there, I first learned how to get on and off the lift with a snowboard. So I would ride up on the little conveyor belt and then ride down the very slight hill to get a feel for it. Once I felt comfortable with that, then we headed to the lifts.


Getting on the lift I almost ripped my knee off, but getting off was better. I rode perfectly off without falling. And according to Brad 97% of people fall their first time getting off, so I guess I was doing pretty good.


So first things first, I learned how to stop on my heels if I needed to. So the whole way down the bunny hill, Davie was in front of me making sure I didn't glide away into the trees, while I practiced stopping and going, stopping and going. About 3/4 of the way down my quads were screaming, so we sat down for a rest. (and yes, in the above picture my goggles make a shadow that makes me look like I have an Italian man's mustache. I don't.)


Brad and Libby did the same. In fact, that ended up being the last run. We were all pretty tired, the boys especially. They were both so patient with us. Just like Libby said as Davie was pushing me uphill, "Aren't husbands the best?". Indeed they are.


Well, when all was said and done, I decided that I really do enjoy snowboarding and have an even more enormous amount of respect for that Shaun White character. So, thanks Davie for making me go!

1 comment:

Gas Passer said...

What about respect for your brother who did it for so many years without any recognition? Wha Wha wha. I feel left out, like I did when everyone went on elaborate vacations and I was stuck in Mexico. I never win, but I am happy you like snowboarding, because now when we all have lots of money, we can go on snowboarding trips together. Yippee.