Monday, October 25, 2010

educate yourself


David and I went and saw the movie "Waiting for Superman". I can honestly say that it has changed my life and is the best documentary I have seen in a long time.

Now I rarely ever take a political stand on something because it almost always turns to pointless arguing that goes nowhere. I am not a democrat or a republican. Neither party fully encompasses what I believe. However, this is one thing that I can't not take a stand on.

And my stand is this: Public education is at it's worst. The only thing that can fix it is competition. Whether that competition be through school vouchers or more high standard charter schools being built.

The public school system has little to no competition and thus they have no reason to improve.

I'm not going to go on and on here on my blog about education and what we should do to improve it but I will say the following:
  1. Go see the movie "Waiting for Superman". NOW.
  2. Go to www.waitingforsuperman.com. Browse, read, study.
  3. Text "possible" to 77177
  4. Watch this 20/20 episode called "Stupid in America". This will open your eyes.

5. Go to www.americanprep.org. This is my mother in law Carolyn Sharette's charter school website. The schools are located in Draper UT and West Valley UT. They are incredible. They are how public schools need to be.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: